The perfect excuse is difficult to find.
- It needs to be believable but not overly obvious.
- It needs to take all blame and strategically place it somewhere else.
- It cannot offend or degrade anyone that is important to you.
- It must leave your desire completely intact: I wanted to but I couldn’t because…
- It must be new. Reused excuses get tiresome.
- It does not particularly have to be based in reality.
The problem with the search for the perfect excuse is that we might find it. Or worse, we might find it and believe it ourselves.